Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries heeft een frisse en unieke kijk op het al vaak beschreven onderwerp leiderschap.Meer over Manfred Kets de Vries
Lessons on Leadership by Terror
Finding Shaka Zulu in the AtticPaperback Engels 2005 9781845423681
What makes despotic leaders tick? How do they become despots? On a lesser (but far more common) scale: why are some people ruthlessly abrasive in the workplace? Why do some business leaders appear to lose their sense of humanity? How and why do they create a culture of fear, uncertainty and doubt in their companies?
'Lessons on Leadership by Terror' attempts to discover what happens to people when they acquire power, and whether the abuse of power is inevitable. Manfred Kets de Vries examines the life of the nineteenth-century Zulu king Shaka Zulu in order to help us understand the psychology of power and terror. During his short reign, Shaka Zulu established one of the most successful regimes based on terror that has ever existed, from which the traits of despotic leaders are illustrated. Shaka’s life history is a study in the psychology of terror, and he can be a proxy for the behavior of any despot, be it from antiquity or modern times. From his leadership behavior fifteen cautionary lessons are derived, offering valuable principles for contemporary leaders.
The book also explores the characteristics of totalitarian states, and discusses what can be done to prevent despotic leaders from coming to the fore. Clear parallels are drawn between Shaka’s behavior and that of other, more contemporary, leaders including Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Saddam Hussein.
This fascinating and highly original book will be of enormous interest to a broad audience – from students and academics focusing on leadership, political science, and political psychology, to practitioners such as managers, executives, consultants, and leadership coaches.
Geef uw waardering
Part I: The Historical Context
1. A School for Tyranny: Learning from Hardship, Betrayal and Humiliation
2. The Making of a Military State: Honing the Assegai
3. Ruling by Fear: Bringing Enemies and Allies Alike to Submission
Part II: The Question of Character
4. The Inner Theatre of the King: Acting Out Personal Concerns on a Public Stage
5. Monte Cristo in Africa: Seeking Revenge for Past Wrongs
6. The Nature of Relationships: Being Unable to Establish Real Intimacy
7. Paranoia – The Disease of Kings: Exercising Caution Beyond the Bounds of Danger
8. The Terrorist Mind: Protecting the Self by Victimizing Others
Part III: Leadership by Terror
9. Following the Leader: Colluding in Cruelty
10. Lessons in Leadership: Teaching by Example and Omission
Part IV: Deconstructing Totalitarianism
11. A Throne of Blood: Deploying the Tools of Tyranny
12. Dancing with Vampires: Preventing Tyranny through Effective Governance
Aanbevolen live events...
Jitske Kramer over Teamintelligentie
Mensen die dit boek kochten, kochten ook...
Managementboek Top 100
- Algemeen management
- Coaching en trainen
- Communicatie en media
- Financieel management
- Inkoop en logistiek
- Internet en social media
- IT-management / ICT
- Mens en maatschappij
- Personal finance
- Persoonlijke effectiviteit
- Reclame en verkoop
- Strategisch management
- Werk en loopbaan